Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust is committed to developing the workforce to reach their full potential by investing time and funding into continuous professional development (CPD).
Ongoing CPD is provided by mandatory training, study days, conferences and modular programme activity. Modular programme support is provided through commissioned funding by Health Education England (South) and via academic partnership with Plymouth University.
The academic partnership activity utilises teams within the organisation to provide bespoke CPD modules to address workforce development and service needs. Here is the current portfolio of modules delivered by Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust (PHNT) in academic partnership with Plymouth University:
- Contemporary Issues in the Care of the Newborn (HEAB396)
- Intensive Care for the Neonate (HEAB397)
- Enhanced Principles and Practice of Renal Nursing (NURC317)
- Enhanced Principles and Practice of Renal Nursing (Specialist Skills) (NURC318)
- Management of Infection Prevention (HEAC334)
- Principles and Practice of Infection Prevention (HEAB236)
- Enhancing Clinical Research in Practice (HEAD345)
- Applied Physiology in Critical Illness (HEAC327P)
- Core Concepts of Critical Care (HEAC329P)
- Advanced Concepts of Critical Care (HEAC328P)
- Enhancing Care of patients with dementia and their families (HEAC342P)
- Tissue Viability: Core Knowledge for Practice (HEAD339P)
- Principles and Practice of Cardiothoracic Surgical Care (HEAD348)
- Care of the critically ill adult in the non-acute setting (HEAC332)
- Leadership Modules (HEAB242-234)
To enable the appropriate development of the non-medical workforce, nurses, midwives and allied professionals are fully represented within the CPD applications, nominations and funding to reflect service line needs and staff appraisal requirements.
This academic year 135 funded places have been provided across many CPD modules:
- Leadership and Innovation
- Teaching in Practice
- Integrated Advanced Practice in Context
- Integrated Advanced Practice
- Enhancing End of Life Care
- Multiple Long Term Conditions
- Evidencing Professional Development in Urgent and Emergency Care via e-Portfolio
- Developing Expertise in Clinical Practice-Minor Injuries
- Evidence Informed Decision Making
- Enhanced Practice in Chronic Pulmonary Conditions
- Critical Care Management: Airway, Breathing & Circulation
- Asthma & COPD
- The Child and Young Person with Mental Health Needs
- Mental health Assessment in Urgent, Emergency and Acute Care
- Neurological Rehabilitation Sensorimotor Disorders
- Pathomechanics and Rehabilitation of Balance & Gait
- Rehabilitation: Cognition, Perception & Behaviour
The Trust is a centre for National Resuscitation Courses and provides the current suite of courses:
- 63 x one-day Immediate Life Support Course (ILS) Adult
- 5 x two-day Advanced Life Support Course (ALS) Adult
- 1 x one-day Advanced Life Support Course Recertification Course
- 2 x two-day Generic Instructors Course (GIC)
- 10 x one-day Paediatric Immediate Life Support Course (PILS)
- 2 x two-day Advanced Paediatric Life Support Course (APLS)
- 4 x one-day Neonatal Life Support (NLS) Course
- 2 x three-day Advanced Trauma Life Support Course (ATLS)
- 4 x one-day Trauma Immediate Life Support Course (TILS)
- 1 x one-day Advanced Resuscitation of the Newborn Infant (ARNI)
Looking for a job?
Click here to see all of our current Nursing and Midwifery opportunities.
We run regular recruitment events for qualified nurses (and those soon to be qualified), you can find out about our next event here.
If you are interested in volunteering with us to find out more about careers in healthcare, click here.
Interested in temporary or more flexible posts?
Whatever your availability we value your skills and experience and can provide you with a fantastic opportunity to work with us in a way that suits your lifestyle. Click here to find out more.
- Cardiology and Neurology
- Colorectal, HPB, Upper GI and General Surgery
- Critical Care (Cardiac)
- Critical Care (General)
- Emergency Department
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Gynaecology, Fertility and Sexual Health
- Health Care of the Elderly
- Main Outpatients and PIU
- Medical Assessment Unit (MAU)
- Ophthalmology (REI)
- Paediatrics and Neonatal
- Respiratory Medicine
- Surgical Assessment Unit (SAU)
- Trauma, Orthopaedics and Rheumatology