We are delighted to announce Jonathan Cope, GP, has been appointed to our new clinical role of Associate Medical Director (Primary Care) at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust.
The role is for two days a week, is a part of the hospital senior management team and will play a vital role in the development of partnerships with GPs and will also contribute to the closer working of acute and community services.
More specifically, the purpose of the role is:
- To work with colleagues (clinical and managerial) across primary and secondary care to deliver the 5 Year Forward View (5YFV) vision of the closer working of GP, community and hospital services taking learning from the national Vanguard pilot sites and building on local innovation.
- This closer working has the aim of delivering:
- Reduced delays for patients caused by how clinical teams currently interface
- The best use of clinical time on activities to add value for the patient
- Improved clinical outcomes
- Clinical roles which are attractive; improving recruitment and retention
- Reduced cost to the hospital and the healthcare system
- To establish the necessary forums and environment for the clinical teams in order to facilitate the development of sustainable new care models to better meet the needs of the local population and within the resources available.
- To act as an advocate for general practice and primary care clinicians and services within the hospital and as an advocate for secondary care clinicians in primary care, building confidence in each other and a more cohesive sense of a wider clinical community.
- Be aware of national initiatives impacting on primary care and how these can be integrated in the Western Devon system (areas beyond just 5YFV)
Jonathan has a compelling vision for the future of health and social care in our community as well as an impressive track record of achievement in leadership roles.
He has gained a wealth of experience from a wide range of clinical and managerial roles over the past 25 years both overseas and in the UK. More recently Jonathan has been the Managing Partner at the Beacon Medical group, which initially formed in 2014, ultimately bringing 4 practices together. Jonathan has also previously held roles at the LMC in Devon and at Health Education England as well as being awarded PULSE GP of the Year in 2016.
Jonathan has acknowledged that it will be appropriate to step down from his role as Managing Partner at Beacon Medical Group. He will continue to be a Partner at Beacon and will still undertake clinical duties in practice.
In accepting this role, he said “I was really excited to see the role of Associate Medical Director for Primary Care come to advert, and feel honoured to be offered this position following interview. This post is a fantastic opportunity to bring a Primary Care perspective to help the teams from the PHNT work more closely with the teams working in the community.
Whilst these clinical teams currently work together to safely deliver services to patients, I believe there is much more that can be done to improve services and efficiencies if we can build a clinical community that feels more like a single team, working together more closely for our communities. I am looking forward to starting in early February and relish the opportunity to meet the teams at Derriford.”
Jonathan is expected to start his new role at the beginning of February 2018.