Staff at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust are set to benefit from a new wellbeing hub, which takes a holistic focus on the physical and mental aspects of wellbeing.
The Derriford Centre for Health and Wellbeing (DCHW) will launch on Monday 10 October 2016 and brings together the Trust’s Occupational Health and Wellbeing Service and Leisure Facilities. There will be an official ribbon cutting at 11.00 which will be followed by refreshments and a tour around the new unit.
The centre, formerly known as the Derriford Health and Leisure Centre, underwent an expansion in the summer to accommodate the Trust’s Occupational Health and Wellbeing Team in a purpose-built unit at the rear of the building.
Nick Thomas, Deputy Chief Executive said: “The Derriford Centre for Health and Wellbeing will be the focal point for the Trust’s staff wellbeing services, taking a holistic view of the physical and mental aspects of wellbeing.
“By joining these two closely-aligned services, we hope to put focus on wellbeing as a constant, as opposed to something which is addressed in a moment of crisis.”
To mark the launch of the new centre, DCHW will be running a week of free events for Trust staff to showcase the range of services which it offers. Potential highlights include:
- Think Pink Health and Beauty Event: This specially curated event will mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month and bring over 20 local exhibitors, therapists and businesses to the Lounge of DCHW on Tuesday 11 October (between 16.00 and 21.00). Stalls will offer a range of advice and free mini-therapy tasters, such as skin care, massage, and hypnotherapies (on a first come, first served basis on the evening).
- Healthy Cooking Demo: We have a very special guest visitor for this session, Chef Mehdi from Fuel Catering will be coming in to do a lunch time demo on Wednesday 12 October (between 12.00 and 13.00) looking at ways we can make simple, tasty and healthy improvement to our daily meals. You can even have a taster of the finished dishes. Spaces are limited and it is likely to be a very popular event, so please pre-book by calling 52840.
- Staff Walking Football Tournament: The ribbon cutting event will culminate in a Walking Football Tournament in the Sports Hall on Monday 10 October (between 12.00 and 13.00). This emerging format of the game is fantastic as it is inclusive of all ages and abilities. Mixed teams of four can contact email@example.com to enquire about entry.
- Launch of our Four-Week Step Challenge: Beginning on Monday 10 October, you can register your five person team at firstname.lastname@example.org to take part in a challenge that is a fun and easy way to improve your physical and mental wellbeing and promote team spirit. You can track steps using a fitness watch, or the first 20 teams will receive a free pedometer.
- Occupational Health and Wellbeing Workshops: Our Occupational Health and Wellbeing Team will be running several workshops throughout the week, on topics such as flu, stress, mindfulness, mental health and the menopause. These sessions promise to be informative and insightful and a chance to hear from experts in their field.