Message from Ann James, Chief Executive:
As the NHS celebrates its 70th birthday, I would like to recognise and thank the many people here in Plymouth who make the NHS what it is. Not just now but all those who have done over the years.
We currently have more than 10,000 staff and volunteers delivering NHS services in the city, who care with so much commitment and dedication. We have celebrated just a few of them with our joint #NHS70 Pride of Plymouth NHS Awards with Livewell Southwest but there are many, many more who we could celebrate.
This is a very important occasion for the NHS, as we look back on all that has been achieved, celebrate what is currently being achieved and look to the future and think about how we could improve healthcare and wider health for local people.
We recently held a fantastic #NHS70 Open Day which the community supported brilliantly – we hope we have inspired the next generation of healthcare staff as well as encouraged people to think about their own health and wellbeing with our interactive displays.
Today we will be:
- Having Tea with Matron: our matrons, ward managers and managers at Derriford Hospital will be having tea with patients and their families on our wards and in our dayrooms
- Having a staff Bake-Off in aid of our Plymouth Hospitals Charity We have some fantastic bakers and they love a competition!
- Holding a Schwartz round for our staff and those from Livewell Southwest to mark #NHS70. Schwartz Rounds provide a structured forum where all staff, clinical and non-clinical, come together regularly to discuss the emotional and social aspects of working in healthcare. The theme will be Cradle to Grave Care.
- Using social media to connect with each other and the past. We have organised with partner organisations from across Plymouth to create an NHS70 Facebook group which is open to everyone and part populated with old footage of yesterday’s healthcare in Plymouth, sourced from the Box Plymouth Museum and the South West Film Archive. Anyone can join here https://www.facebook.com/groups/339598636528020/ or search for NHS70 Plymouth group and share their memories, thoughts and photos.
- We have been and will continue to support the local media as they seek to cover the birthday.
Thanks to our friends at Plymouth City Council, Livewell Southwest, Scott Medical and Healthcare College, in local charities and support groups and at University of Plymouth and Plymouth Marjon University for their support in celebrating the birthday. The anniversary also falls during Health Information Week and you can find out more about what’s happening in our local Plymouth libraries here.
It’s wonderful the NHS is celebrating 70 years … here’s to many more birthdays as the NHS develops and focuses not just on supporting people when they’re ill, but supporting them to keep as well as possible for as long as possible.