Medical Student Electives
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust is a large teaching hospital that works in partnership with the Plymouth University Peninsula Medical School. The Trust offers a limited number of placements for medical students (non-Peninsula Medical School) from the United Kingdom and EU member states (subject to Border Agency rules/Visa requirements), and we are also able to accept students from Australia, Canada and New Zealand who are eligible to enter the UK on a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa.
The placements provide an opportunity to experience the delivery of health care in a tertiary referral centre in the South West of England.
Departments Offering Elective Placements:
The departments offering elective placements may be subject to change from year to year. Departments typically include:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Ear, Nose & Throat
- Emergency Department
- Health of the Elderly
- Intensive Care Unit
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Other departments may also be available on request. Please see the Elective Catalogue for this year’s availability.
Number of Electives:
The number of elective placements offered is limited to a maximum of 10 students per year.
Duration of Electives:
Placements are offered from Monday 1st July and must be completed by the end of August, and last between 2 and 4 weeks. Please see the Elective Catalogue for this year’s exact dates and how long each department is offering. If required, we may be able to negotiate an 8 week placement
The deadline for submission of applications is Friday 1st March 2019, to be considered for a placement in the Summer of 2019.
All applications should be made via email to the Electives Administrator (email@example.com) and should be addressed to Mr Jonathan Unsworth-White, Deputy Director for Medical Education (Undergraduate).
All applications must include the following:
- A completed Application Form
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- A covering letter explaining why you would like to carry out your elective at Derriford Hospital
- A letter of support from the Dean (or nominee) of your Medical School
Please also include the following supporting information:
- Evidence of successful completion of at least three years of medical school
- Clear communication skills and knowledge of English
- Medical School transcripts
- Evidence of motivation to do elective
- Clear understanding of the objectives and learning outcomes for the elective, and how it will help you in your career choice
Applications will be considered and the successful candidates will be informed by email by the end of March.
- Your application will not be considered unless you submit all of the above documents.
- All offers are subject to Occupational Health clearance and proof of ID (Passport or UK/EU Driving Licence).
- We do not participate in the Erasmus Programme.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have complied with Border Agency rules / Visa requirements.
The administrative fee for the elective placements is £75 per week. This will need to be paid before the start of the elective placement. Details of how to pay will be supplied if your application is successful.
Elective students are required to make their own living arrangements for the duration of their placement. Further advice on available accommodation will be sent to you should your application be successful.