A Historical Record
Before the NHS was introduced in 1948, discussions about the proposed new health service were taking place around the country.
In Plymouth, the discussions between members of the Plymouth Medical Society were recorded in a book of minutes which is now kept in the Discovery Library at Derriford Hospital. The minutes of the Society’s meeting that took place on the 11th October 1944 show that: “It was resolved by a majority of 18 votes, to support the inclusion of 100% population in a Nation Health Service”.
It was later documented in the same book, on the 10th November 1944 that “the Doctors were willing to co-operate in a general health service, but considered the new health scheme too revolutionary”.
However, finally on the 2nd June 1948, the minutes showed the decision for Plymouth to join the NHS. “Many more concessions were obtained from the minister, and on the whole we had really won a great victory.”
Before the NHS was introduced, Plymouth had 11 hospitals in total. All these became NHS hospitals after 1948.
· Alexandra Maternity Home
· South Devon & East Cornwall Hospital
· Mount Gould Hospital
· Plymouth General Hospital, Freedom Fields
· Plymouth General Hospital, Greenbank
· Plymouth General Hospital, Lockyer street
· Underwood House Hospital
· Royal Eye Infirmary
· Scott Isolation Hospital
· Crownhill Convalescent Home
· Royal Naval Hospital
Now, most have been amalgamated into services at the Royal Eye Infirmary and Derriford Hospital.
 Page 96, Minutes from meetings of the Executive Committee of the Plymouth Division, Plymouth Medical Society.
 Page 99, Minutes from meetings of the Executive Committee of the Plymouth Division, Plymouth Medical Society
 Page 154, Minutes from meetings of the Executive Committee of the Plymouth Division, Plymouth Medical Society.