Full time benefits advisor
We appreciate that during times of prolonged treatment a person’s financial position can alter radically. If you are not sure whether you are entitled to a benefit, or need help and advice, why not make a confidential appointment with our benefits advisor who is now full time within the Mustard Tree.
She can help with:
- Prescription charges
- Work and cancer
- General benefits for those who are sick or are caring
- Travel costs for patients and their carer’s
- Macmillan Grants
- Plymouth and Cornwall Cancer Fund
- Patient Voluntary Welfare Fund
Please ring the Mustard Tree Macmillan Centre (01752) 763672 to arrange an appointment. She is also now available on the first Tuesday of the month at Kingsbridge Triangle centre, and the third Friday of the month at Tavistock cancer support centre. She attends St Lukes at Pearn on the second Thursday of the month, and forth Thursday of the month at Liskeard Hospital.
How do I find out more information?
Advice and useful links can also be obtained from www.macmillan.org.uk
Or from the Macmillan helpline on freefone 0808 808 0000.
Help with travel costs for patients
Patients in receipt of the following can claim for help with travel expenses:
- Pension credit (guaranteed credit)
- Income support
- Income based job seekers allowance
- Working tax credit in certain cases
- Child tax credit in certain cases
- Patients on a low income who have been issued with a HC2 or HC3 form
- Patients who are on a low income but are unable to produce the above should complete a HC1 or HC5 form and send it to the health benefits division in the envelope provided with the form
Help with travel costs for carers
Carer’s can claim back travel cost from the DWP social fund if the patient is in receipt of:
- Pension credit
- Income support
- Income based job seeker allowance
Other Funding for travel costs
If none of the above apply you may be eligible for assistance via other charitable funding such as Macmillan grants or local cancer charities. You can speak to our benefits advisor to check your entitlement.