The Neurology department at Derriford is the largest neurology unit in the Peninsula. We offer a 24-hour on call and inpatient service and provide a neurology service to Torbay Hospital.
The department works closely with the regional neurosurgical, neuro-radiology and neuro-oncology departments and we are able to offer a full range of consultant-led inpatient and outpatient general neurology and subspecialty investigations and treatments.
The Acute Stroke Unit is on floor 8 in Burrator ward and Mayflower ward on floor 3 is the main neurology ward although we look after patients with neurological illnesses throughout the hospital.
- All patients with any neurological illness are admitted directly under our care from ER or following a GP referral.
- All patients who have had a stroke are admitted under our care.
- All patients with a stroke are considered for thrombolysis.
- Elective diagnostic procedures or treatments are carried out in the programmed investigation unit (PIU) on floor 10.
- We have EEG monitoring and Video EEG telemetry available for the management of patients with epilepsy, either as an emergency or elective procedure.
There are around 20 outpatients’ clinics each week, most of these are held in our outpatient unit in Shipley ward on floor 11. We cover all aspects of general neurology with specialist clinics in headache, epilepsy, movement disorders, multiple sclerosis and neuroinflammation, neuromuscular disease, cerebrovascular disease and neurofibromatosis. We also run weekly TIA and GP access urgent referral clinics.
There are nine consultant neurologists and three specialist nurses.
Consultants: (subspecialty interests)
Professor John Zajicek (neuroinflammatory disease, multiple sclerosis)
Dr Jeremy Hobart (multiple sclerosis)
Dr Martin Sadler (general neurology, epilepsy)
Dr Simon Edwards (general neurology, movement disorders)
Dr Steve Allder (general neurology, cerebrovascular disease)
Dr Stuart Weatherby (general neurology, headache)
Dr Azlisham Mohd Nor (general neurology, cerebrovascular disease)
Professor Oliver Hannemann (neuromuscular disease, neurofibromatosis)
Specialist Nurses: Debbie Coker (Epilepsy), Amanda Grant and Helen Rutherford (Multiple Sclerosis) Davn Hugill (Parkinson's disease).