The Plymouth Pain Management Centre is the biggest in the South West and sees in the region of 6,000 people per year.
The Centre provides a number of specialised treatments:
- treatments for severe trigeminal neuralgia.
- intrathecal drug delivery (a system whereby medications can be delivered directly to the spinal fluid). This is used successfully to treat severe limb spasm and both cancer and non-cancer pain.
- spinal cord stimulation for chronic intractable neuropathic pain.
- A specialist fibromyalgia service
- specialist injections for many neck and back conditions.
For those with intractable pain that doesn’t respond to treatment, a full Pain Management Programme is offered. The pain management programme is aimed specifically to help patients develop appropriate long term coping strategies with living with long term pain.