As the situation with coronavirus evolves, it's important to know what support is available to anyone who may have caring responsibilities and those they look after.
Carers UK's advice service has expanded its capacity. Anyone with a question about caring can email email@example.com or call 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm.
Carers UK has a page on their website, regularly updated with key information, as well as answers to some COVID FAQs for Carers. There is also a page on looking after your mental wellbeing
We know that colleagues will likely be feeling more anxious and worried at the moment, and some of us will find ourselves / our family facing financial difficulty and uncertainty.
It is the case that money and psychological health are often linked, and poor psychological health can make managing money even harder. It can feel difficult to ask for help but there are lots of sources of support and information available if you're facing money worries, that you can access in a range of ways. We want to share this with you as this may help reduce the immediate stress and make you feel more in control.
- Neyber financial education hub with access to financial tools, better money management guides and resources that can be accessed via the Neyber financial education hub.
- The Cavell Nurses’ Trust is one of our ‘Working With’ partners providing emotional and financial support for nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants, both working and retired, when they’re suffering personal or financial hardship often due to illness, disability, older age and domestic abuse. If you would like to discuss your circumstances with one of their Welfare team, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit thee Cavell Nurses' Trust website.
- Benefits and financial help at GOV.UK
- Gambling Support: For free confidential advice and help, the National Gambling Helpline is available 24/7, on 0808 8020 133 or Gambiling support live chat. BeGambleAware.org also provides information and advice to help keep people safe from gambling harms, and signposts those that need immediate help and support to the National Gambling Helpline, operated by GamCare, https://www.begambleaware.org/NGTS.html
- Citizen Advice national website
- National Debtline https://www.nationaldebtline.org/, or call 0808 808 4000 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm.
- StepChange debt charity
- Lamplight Support Services | Royal College of Nursing – open to the nursing community - RCN members can call RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100; Individuals not in RCN membership can call 0345 772 6200.
- Local Trade Unions: GMB (01752) 439274 (internal 39274); Unison (01752) 439276 (internal 39276); RCN (01752) 439314; Unite (01752) 431337 (internal 31337), plus other Trade Unions or Professional bodies who are not identified here will be contactable on the internet or can be signposted via the HR team: email@example.com
Food and drink
Morrisons Supermarket (10% discount for NHS staff until 30 September.
Click and collect food delivery click and collect service to Derriford Health and Leisure Centre. Orders must be placed online by Tuesday at 14:30 for collection on Fridays between 15:45 – 14:30 at DHLC.
City Bus are offering travellers a discount of 10%. To gain the discount please download the City Bus app and register using your NHS email address.
Add any 7 day or 28 day ticket into the basket. Then enter NHS10 in the discount code box and pay.
Europcar - 10% discount to NHS staff.https://www.europcar.co.uk/emergencyservices
Sustrans: Bicycle loan and hire, equipment and gear, Bicycle repair or maintenance
- Blue Orchid Hotels. Free stays and experiences. for more information, download their leaflet from Staffnet.
Colleagues will be considering how they balance their working life and child care provision during this time. To support planning, we have made contact with our local Councils and other providers of child care, to identify the support available to working parents.
The current position is that Plymouth City Council and Devon County Council are working with schools to see what provision will be available during the summer holidays and confirmation will be given directly to parents from the schools. Not all schools will be open during this time and both Plymouth City Council and Devon County Council refer parents to their respective websites for support. We have provided links below for ease:
For specific questions in relation to holiday clubs and school openings, colleagues are able to contact this website directly firstname.lastname@example.org
It is worth noting that the on-site nursery, Happy Days, offer childcare provision from 7am – 7pm and cater for children from 3 months to 5 years, however, given the exceptional situation currently they are extending the offer to children up to and including 6 years old. For emergency care or care on a permanent basis, please contact Happy Days Support Centre by email on: email@example.com
Tops Day Nurseries in Plymouth are open for child care for children from 0-5 from 6am until 8pm. They also will be running holiday clubs open throughout the summer holidays for primary school children up to age 11. All their locations in Plymouth are now open, these are: Stonehouse, Devonport, Efford, Bretonside and Prince Rock. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, we would encourage colleagues to have early conversations with their line managers if child care is proving to be difficult. Our expectation is that our leaders will be as supportive as possible, and considerations will be made around working more flexibly, temporarily altering working hours or annual/unpaid leave.
- Free registration
- Priority bookings
- Flexibility with session booking: book a specific number of sessions per month and use them when needed, subject to availability
- Summer holiday care for children up to 8 years old
- Emergency childcare services either in local nursery or in own home
Contact: 03717 053 523 quoting NHS05, 0345 241 5309 for emergency childcare services.
Holiday care for children age 4 years and over. Free registration for NHS staff.
Busy Bees will work with NHS organisations and local systems to block book summer provision or to open centres where there is need.
A free service from the charity PACEY (Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years)
Ofsted registered childminders are trained professionals, able to care for a range of ages and more likely to be flexible for those working atypical hours. They can care for siblings and, over the summer, organise trips out whilst maintaining Covid hierarchy of controls.
NHS staff can ask their local council about childminders in their area or search for registered childcare providers for free using searchChildcare.
Happy Days Nursery
Extended childcare for NHS staff.
Tops Day Nursery
Priority is given children of parents working in the NHS and Emergency Services. Tops Day Nurseries has six nurseries based near the hospital and caters for UHP staff. Open for children from 0-5 from 6am until 8pm. Subject to places being available, children of age 5-11 can also be catered for.
Baba + Boo reusable nappies
Kindly donated onesize and newborn nappies. Emailsarah.email@example.com.
There has been a huge outpouring of support for our staff during the pandemic . This includes national companies, local businesses, charities, community groups and individuals who all want to support Trust staff by doing what they can to help. The below organisations have kindly been in contact with us to offer their services.
Disclaimer: Please note, these offers are not officially endorsed by the Trust, so please check out their product and services reviews as you would normally would when engaging a paid for service. All offers are live at the time of publishing, but please check with the company before ordering to find out their latest offers.
If you need a little bit of retail therapy to take your mind off all things COVID, NHS England and NHS Improvement have pulled together a list of all NHS discounts which retailers are currently offering to NHS staff. Worth taking a look if you want to take advantage of what’s on offer and grab an online bargain.
- All NHS discounts
Free skincare samples
Thornton & Ross Pharmaceutical Company is donating free samples from the Cetraben® and Zeroderma® emollient ranges to alleviate dry skin issues as NHS staff work around the clock to care for patients.Request your creams here:https://mailchi.mp/thorntonross/samples
Bags of kindness
Hannah and Lisa work for University Hospitals Plymouth and have been putting together bags for staff containing small items such as toiletries, food and stationery. The idea is to let staff know they are appreciated and to spread a little bit of kindness.
Plymouth Medical Students Helping Hands Group
They want to give back something small in return for the great sacrifices staff are making during this challenging time. From offering help with childcare to grocery shopping to looking after pets, this scheme consists of medical students wanting to help you where needed, so you can continue to work where you are needed most. This group is on Facebook and aims to simply facilitate contact between healthcare workers and student volunteers who are able to help, after which it is up to the students and healthcare professionals to establish the conditions of work. If you are interested in the scheme and/or are looking for some help,please join the group here. Alternatively firstname.lastname@example.org. Please join the page and spread the word to your colleagues.
Need help from a Volunteer Responder?
This site will provide you with further information if you are self-isolating and are in need of support.