Patients and Visitors
A day case patient will come into hospital, have their operation or treatment and go home the same day.
These instructions must be followed – it is important that you arrive at the time stated on your admission letter. Read carefully the instructions telling you when you may last eat or drink.
It is important that you contact us if anything has changed since you last attended hospital about your day case procedure, e.g.
If there is anything you wish to discuss, please call the pre-Op Assessment Unit on 01752 792473
If you have any special needs, please tell us prior to admission so that we can do our best to provide the most appropriate help.
Please try to avoid bringing valuables or large sums of money into hospital. We cannot be held responsible for valuable property.
If anything untoward happens, e.g. severe pain or bleeding, please contact the number on your discharge advice sheet or you own GP.
The Hospital Car Service
Available to patients on the basis of medical need. If you feel you need a hospital car, contact your family doctor.
For details of refreshments, shops and facilities visit the Refreshments page.
• Most operations can be carried out sooner
• Admission dates are less likely to be cancelled
• Minimal time spent in hospital away from the family home
• Less disruption to daily routines
• Advances in anaesthetics and surgical techniques make day surgery as safe as staying in hospital
Procedures may be carried out on a day basis, provided:
• A careful assessment of your general health has been made before you attend.
• You live within an acceptable distance from the hospital.
• There is a responsible adult to accompany you home in a taxi or private car (public transport is not suitable) and remain with you for a minimum of 24 hours.
• You have access to a telephone.
• You have appropriate toilet facilities.
• You are registered with a family doctor.