Disability Support and Money Matters

Find up to date information on what the network has done so far and its upcoming plans. Any staff member can join the network and you can be involved as much or as little as you are comfortable with.

We aim to support our staff with disabilities and long term health conditions, including mental health conditions. The network has very supportive members and is growing all the time. We hope that this helps people feel less alone within the workforce and breaks down the barriers of being disabled or having a condition within a workplace and shows that UHP is an inclusive employer and Disability Confident.

If you would like to join the network and receive our most up to date information and meeting invites please send a quick email to:



Applying for a reduction in your Council Tax

Citizens advice can help you decide if you are able to apply for a reduction on the council tax you pay here:



Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability.
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition.

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits. To check if you can apply, please follow and read the information on the webpage here: https://www.gov.uk/pip


Support from the Citizens Advice Bureau:

If you're sick or disabled, you might be able to claim benefits like Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). If you care for someone who is disabled, you might be able to get Carer’s Allowance.



Driving Blue Badge

Applying for a Blue Badge can be a daunting process but you can get help from your local council if needed. First, you must decide if you feel you need one and meet the criteria to be able to apply for one. To check if you meet the criteria to apply for one check the following webpage:


You will need some evidence to prove who you are and where you live, a recent photo and will need some evidence to prove you need a Blue Badge, such as, a letter you may have from a doctor with your diagnosis on it and how it affects you.

There is a small cost of £10 for a Blue Badge and you must renew them every 3 years, so make sure you read the information on the following webpage and then click the green ‘Start Now’ button:


Once you have applied for a Blue Badge you may be invited to have an assessment by someone, such as a physiotherapist, just to check how you move and discuss your struggles.


Disabled bus pass

If you need to use public transport, you can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass which includes some free travel and park and ride bus services. You will need some evidence to prove who you are and where you live, a recent photo and will need some evidence to prove you need a disabled person’s bus pass, such as, a letter you may have from a doctor with your diagnosis on it and how it affects you.  



The Devon Access Wallet – Helping you travel in public transpor

The Devon Access Wallet scheme is to help make journeys by bus or train easier for anyone with communication difficulties, people with disabilities, deaf people and those whose first language is not English. You will need to carry your Devon Access Wallet with you on your travels and show it to the bus driver or train staff, who’ll help you on your journey. For more information read this webpage:



Help with train travel

Find out what services Great Western Railway and National Rail offer to people with disabilities or long-term health conditions to help you travel by train:




Wheelchair accessible taxi services in Plymouth and Devon



Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Please answer the question below, this helps us to reduce the number of spam emails that we receive so that we can spend more time responding to genuine enquiries and feedback. Thank you.