Help when you need it
As an employer we know that many of our 9000 staff will be affected by the cost-of-living crisis. We want to understand what you are worried about and try to offer ways to support you and your families. In these pages we’ve pulled together some support and resources to help.
If you are affected by the rising cost of travel, fuel, heating, food and bills, or worried about debt and this is causing you stress or other health impacts, please don’t suffer alone.
Whether it’s a confidential discussion with your line manager about how you’re impacted at work, or a listening ear from our pastoral or counselling team, we are here to help. If you are struggling, please reach out to the many sources of support within the Trust, in Plymouth and in the many organisations set up to give professional advice and guidance.
Talk to someone today
- If you are in crisis you can call the Samaritans for free, any time, day or night on 116 123.
- Help in Plymouth
- The Money Helper service offers free impartial money guidance over the phone, by webchat and WhatsApp. Contact them today.
- 24 hour counselling helpline for UHP staff from the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) though Vivup on 03303 800658
- The Trust’s Pastoral and Spiritual Care Team is here for you and support and can be accessed by 01752 245255 (or internal 55255) or via switchboard on 01752 202082 day or night to page the duty Chaplain.
- Local Trade Unions - MB (01752) 439274 (internal 39274); Unison (01752) 439276 (internal 39276); RCN (01752) 439314; Unite (01752) 431337 (internal 31337), plus other Trade Unions or Professional bodies who are not identified here will be contactable on the internet or can be signposted via the HR team: email@example.com
- National Gambling Helpline is available 24/7, on 0808 8020 133 or Gambiling support live chat
Finances affecting your mental health?
In the UK, it is estimated that 50% of people in debt also experience a mental health problem. And one in five people experiencing a mental health problem also experiences money issues.
Access support from mental health and money advice
Help with budgeting
- Visit Money Helper for help with budgeting
- For a money health check, quick cash finder, tips, guides, videos, budgeting and saving tools, visit the UHP pages from Salary Finance.
- For self-help guides and printable budget planner, Ask Bill.
- The Royal College of Nursing Welfare Service offers a range of financial wellbeing tools and support. Visit the RCN Financial Wellbeing pages.
- Visit the Salary Finance Budget Planner
- Visit the Salary Financial Fitness Calculator
Help with benefits
An estimated £15+ billion is left in unclaimed benefit support each year. Are you missing out? Use the benefits calculator from Ask Bill to find out.
Visit www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators to check what you could be entitled to and for an estimate of how much your benefits could be and how your benefits will be affected if your circumstances change.
Help with hardship funds or loans
The Cavell Nurses’ Trust
The Cavell Nurses’ Trust provides emotional and financial support for nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants, both working and retired, when they’re suffering personal or financial hardship often due to illness, disability, older age and domestic abuse. If you would like to discuss your circumstances with one of their Welfare team, please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org or visit thee Cavell Nurses' Trust website.
Salary Finance partners with employers to provide financial products and services (loans, advances, savings and financial education) that help you lead a happier, healthier financial life. Salary Finance offers products through your employer which are linked to your salary and tailored to your individual circumstances, allowing you to take control of your finances. ‘Salary Finance’ offers personal loans for University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust employees.*
*Important: This is an option, not a recommendation. University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust do not benefit from offering this service and all your communications will be with Salary Finance. Loan applications will be assessed to ensure the loan is appropriate and affordable for you. “Learn” content is for guidance and educational purposes only and is generic in nature. Salary Finance does not offer regulated financial advice. Please seek independent financial advice.