Miss S Fullilove
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Miss Fullilove graduated from Pembroke College in Oxford in 1987 with a 1st class Honours degree and Hockey and Squash Blues. She completed her medical training at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London and qualified as a doctor in 1990. Training as a junior doctor and surgeon was undertaken in London, Oxford, South Africa, and Zambia. Senior surgical training in the form of Fellowships in Upper Limb, Wrist and Hand Surgery took place in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada. Miss Fullilove was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic and Hand Surgeon to the Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2002 and now practices exclusively Hand and Wrist Surgery in Devon.
She is Treasurer and Trustee for the British Society for Surgery of the Hand, and Chairman of the society’s Audit committee, running the Audit Database for hand surgery. She sits on the Editorial Board and the Committee of Management and is a reviewer for the Journal of Hand Surgery (British and European volume). A keen teacher, Miss Fullilove is faculty on several local and national courses (Plymouth Arthroscopy course, AO UK Hand and Wrist Courses).
She lives on Dartmoor with her husband and 3 children and continues to be active in sport and travel.
- BA(1st class Hons) - 1987 Oxford University
- MBBS - 1990 St. Bartholomew’s, London
- MA(Oxon) - 1991 Oxford University
- FRCS(Orth) - 1999 Royal College of Surgeons (Eng)
- Completion of Specialist Training - 2000
- Consultant Orthopaedic Hand & Wrist Surgeon, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth (2002 – date)
- Honorary Lecturer, Peninsula Medical School
Professional interests and posts
- Clinical practice, research, training and development in Hand & Wrist Surgery.
- Auditing surgical outcomes (Surgical Lead and developer of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand Audit Registry; Chairman of the BSSH Audit Committee)
- Council Member and Trustee, British Society for Surgery of the Hand (2012 – 2019)
- Honorary Treasurer, British Society for Surgery of the Hand (2015 – 2019)
- Member of Editorial Board and Reviewer, British and European Journal of Hand Surgery (2011 – 2018): Committee of Management of the Journal of Hand Surgery (2015-2019)
Faculty - AO UK Hand and Wrist Course, Plymouth Arthroscopy Course, Basic Surgical Skills, BSSH Instructional Course Lectures
- Medical student at Pembroke College, Oxford University and at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
- Surgical training in Oxford, London and South Africa.
- Orthopaedic placements in London, Zambia and Ethiopia.
- Fellowships in Hand and Upper Limb Surgery in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada.
- Dorsally displaced fractures of the distal radius. A critical appraisal of the DRAFFT (distal radius acute fracture fixation trial) study. S. Fullilove and C.Gozzard. Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:298-300
- Validity of the DASH and QuickDash scores when used in Dupuytren's disease. J.Rodrigues, W.Zhang .... S.Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2015 Aug 25. pii: 1753193415601350. [Epub ahead of print]
- A Comparison of PEM and EQ5D questionnaires. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Correlation between the DASH and QuickDASH in Dupuytrens disease. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complication rates following different Dupuytrens disease treatments and associated factors - A multicentre case control study. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - A closed loop audit of fracture clinic guidelines. Podium presentation, Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand Congress, 2014
- First reported case of deep vein thrombosis following routine, day-case wrist surgery – case report and review of the literature. Kosy J, Fullilove SM. Poster presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, 2014
- Wnt signaling and Dupuytren’s disease. Dolmans GH et al.N Engl J Med July 2011. Multicentre study for which I was the Principal Investigator for Plymouth.
- Hills-sachs type lesion of the capitellum. Hall MJ, Fullilove SM, Keenan J. J Trauma. 2010.
- The supination deformity and associated deformities of the upper limb in severe birth lesions of the brachial plexus. Yam, Fullilove SM, Sinisi M, Fox M. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009.
- A carpal boss leading to extensor tendon ruptures - a case report. Williams MR, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008.
- Delayed post-traumatic midcarpal dislocation. Hawken RM, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007
- The role of cement in glenoid replacement. Fullilove SM, Sonnabend D. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2001.
- Local and systemic concentrations of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in bacterial osteomyelitis. Fullilove S M, Jellis J, Hughes SP, Remick DG, Friedland JS. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2000
- Major limb deformities as complications of vascular access in neonates. S. Fullilove and J. Fixsen. Paediatr Anaesth. 1997.
- Proliferative myositis in a child. A case report. Pollock L, Fullilove SM, Shaw DG, Malone M, Hill RA. J Bone Joint Surg Am.1995.
Plymouth. PL6 8DH
Phone: 01752 433029 (secretary, Lana Cook)
- Find out more about the Hand Surgery service here »