Latest News

Information on national industrial action - 06, 07 & 10 February, 2023

If you need medical help, continue to use 111 online, and in emergencies, please call 999

The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) is taking industrial action at a number of NHS trusts, including here at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, on Monday 6 and Tuesday 7 February 2023. The GMB Union are taking action on Monday 6 February, and UNISON are taking action on 10 February. The hospital will be impacted both by nursing and ambulance union strikes together.  

We have measures in place to ensure the safety and welfare of our patients, their loved ones and our staff and we are doing our best to keep any possible disruption to our services to a minimum.

What will be different?

Please be reassured that we are all working together to care for all of our patients and their loved ones. Please be patient and kind to our staff if you are finding yourself experiencing a wait for our services.

We’ve been working very closely with the unions to try and keep as many of our services running as possible, but we know that some of our patients may be impacted as a consequence of the strike.

What can I do to help?

If you have an appointment please attend unless you hear from us. Please do not call to check if your appointment is going ahead. We will be in touch with you directly if we need to rearrange an appointment. 

Our Emergency Department (ED)

Please use our Emergency Department if you have a life-threatening emergency. Please be aware that our service, like the wider NHS and local health and care system, is very busy:

  • If you have a minor illness or minor injury, local GP surgeries and pharmacies are open.
  • If you have an urgent medical problem that isn’t an emergency contact 111 first by phone or online
  • The Urgent Treatment Centre Cumberland is open every day to treat you if you have an injury which isn’t life-threatening, but requires urgent treatment. Our Minor Injury Units at Tavistock and South Hams Hospital are also open everyday. You can find out more about our UTC and MIUs here.

Who do I speak to if I want to share a concern?

If you need help or support regarding our services, please speak to the relevant department or service in the first instance, or contact PALS for further support:

We are also running the #MeetTheMatron campaign where you can give direct feedback (positive or constructive) to your matron. You can contact your matron through this link here.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Please answer the question below, this helps us to reduce the number of spam emails that we receive so that we can spend more time responding to genuine enquiries and feedback. Thank you.