Surgical Commander P Guyver
Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedics
Surgeon Commander Guyver joined the Royal Navy as a medical student and graduated from St George's Hospital Medical School, London in 1999. He passed Royal Marines Commando training and was deployed on operations with 40 and 45 Commando Royal Marines as their medical officer in Ahgahistan and Iraq.
He completed basic surgical training in Plymouth and higher surgical training on the south west peninsula rotation. He passed the intercollegiate examinations in 2012 and pursued fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford and at the world renowned Mayo Clinic in the USA. He was also awarded the Watanabe Arthroscopic Shoulder Travelling Fellowship in 2014.
He was appointed to MDHU Derriford as a consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon in October 2014. As a military surgeon he has delivered medical support to military operations on the front line in Afghanistan and Iraq and more recently surgical support at Camp Bastion Role 3 facility, Afghanistan.
Surgeon Commander Guyver has published and presented widely in Orthopaedics and Trauma and remains active in research and teaching related to shoulder and elbow disorders. Surgeon Commander Guyver strives to provide first rate care with an open, honest and personal manner. In addition he aims to ensure that patients have a good understanding of their condition, treatment options and likely outcome.
Membership of professional bodies:
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Member of the Combined Services Orthoapedic Society
- Member of the Medical Protection Society
Medical qualifications obtained:
- MBBS(Lond), MRCS(Edin), FRCS(Tr & Orth)
General areas of expertise:
- General trauma
- Treament and investigation of all musculoskeletal conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow
Particular areas of expertise:
- Trauma related to the shoulder and elbow
- Rotator cuff tears
- Keyhole surgical techniques to release frozen shoulders and reconstructive surgery for shoulder instability and soft tissue injuries related to sports injuries
- Total shoulder replacements ad elbow replacements for painful arthritic conditions
Miss Paula Dodds
Tel: 01752 431006
Fax: 01752 76374