Mr P McArdle
Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Mr McArdle is dentally and medically qualified and has attained dental, surgical and maxillofacial fellowships. He has just completed a two year programme with the Health Foundation gaining an MSc in Leadership for Quality
He is a proud recipient of the Maxillofacial Surgery Gold Medal - National Award
Mr McArdle joined Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2003 and held the post of Clinical Director 2007 - 2011. In 2011 he was appointed Assistant Medical Director and is now the AMD for Quality.
BDS FDSRCS MBCHB FRCS FRCS(OMFS)
Postgraduate certificate in Healthcare Management
MSc in Leadership
General areas of clinical expertise:
General Maxillofacial Surgery
Specific areas of expertise:
Head and neck cancer
Salivary gland surgery
Combined facial/cranial problems (combined with Neurosurgeons)
Assistant Medical Director, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust.
His areas of responsibility include:
Medical lead for the Trust Quality Improvement Programme
- Chairman Clinical Effectiveness group
- Trust Lead for Clinical Audit
- Programme lead for Electronic outcome solution
- Clinical representative on Theatre Information management system
- Clinical lead Director for for Quality Improvement
- Chair of Quality Faculty
- Honorary Lecturer for Peninsula Dental and Medical Schools
- Academic Tutor for Peninsula Medical School
- Clinical lead for Cardiff Dental Student Maxillofacial Surgery programme
- SSU lead for Medical and Dental student curriculum 'A smack in the Head' and 'Shock the Habit'
- Lead for Medical School Longitudinal undergraduate programme in Quality Improvement
- Previous Director Advanced Trauma Life Support Course , Plymouth
- Foundation Programme Director (2006-2009)
Lectures delivered in: Oral health; smoking related diseases; salivary gland pathology; salivary function; benign and malignant lesions of the oral cavity, third molar removal and complications of third molar removal, Fascial space infections of the head and neck and management of the dental patient with spreading infection, understanding the anatomy of the cranial nerves, top tips in the management of upper respiratory tract infections.
Head and Neck Cancer Quality Improvement and Audit.
Root cause analysis.
Safety team Quality Improvement programme
Recent publications and presentations:
- 'Craniofacial trauma; injury patterns and management' Chapter in 'Head Injury – A Multidisciplinary Approach' Cambridge University Press 2010
- Guest lecturer at the Joint British and Indian societies of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2011 Evidence based practice in the management of frontal sinus fractures in craniofacial injury
- Guest lecturer at the British Society for the Study of Headache 2011
- Guest Speaker on making Surgery safer at the South West Perioperative Surgical Collaborative Taunton 2012
- Guest speaker. Michigan surgical safety collaborative 2013. Learning from Disaster Michigan USA
- NATSIPPS team member. National team that has introduced 13 standards aimed to improve surgical safety in all operating theatres across England. To be implemented in September 2016. Invited guest lecturer at Modernising the NHS programme in March 2016. Preventing never events and the introduction of NATSIPPS
- Member of CORESS. Confidential reporting system for surgeons
- Theatre safety review programme. An ongoing systematic review of theatre safety across 12 National Hospitals.
Mr McArdle has just completed a programme of work with the Health foundation. He was selected form 140 applicants nationally to study on the GenerationQ two year programme of Leadership for Quality through Ashridge business school. A highly prestigious programme for senior leaders.
He now leads the Quality Faculty and is developing a Quality Academy for Derriford Hospital. The aim being to develop organisational Quality Improvement capability, provide a mentoring and coaching service and support the Trust Quality and safety programme
In 2012 and 2013 he visited Michigan in the United States where he developed links as part of a team with Michigan State Unversity around the delivery of safe care for patients and a project looking at the management of patients with severe abdominal problems. This project was kindly sponsored through the Charitable funds Committee of Derriford Hospital. Much of this learning has now been applied in the Quality ambition of the Hospital.
In recent years he has run a programme providing oral health advice and oral cancer awareness for school children featured on Plymouth radio and BBC Spotlight. This project ran as a Special Study Unit with the Peninsula Dental School and was assessed part of the Peninsula Dental School curriculum.
Mr McArdle has featured in several BBC3 productions, including Bizarre ER, which featured a patient who was treated for a severe facial injury when she was attacked by a cow! This programme was screened in June 2009 and again in September 2009
Secretary 01752 431623