Erme Neurosurgery provides specialist care for neurosurgical patients across the southwest for both elective and emergency admissions. It is a friendly and welcoming ward with a strong cohesive team of experienced healthcare professionals to deliver high quality care.
It is a 28 bedded ward with Specialist level 1 areas to provide a safe high dependency of care to these patients. It is an extremely busy and fast paced ward dealing with a variety of neurosurgery and neurosurgical trauma patients. Our team of neurosurgeons provide treatment of the following:
- Neurotrauma (Brain and Spine injuries)
- Spontaneous haemorrhage (aneurysm and vascular malformations)
- Neuro-oncology including skull base and pituitary tumours
- Degenerative spine conditions
- Metastatic spine disease
- Craniofacial trauma, tumours, deformities, and reconstruction
- Hydrocephalus and CSF disorders
- Chiari malformation and syringomyelia
The neurosurgical team is overseen by Matron Sarah Pickbourne and is accountable for ensuring patients care is delivered safely and to a high standard. The ward managers are Rachael Porter and Kirstin Templeman who ensure the provision of excellent nursing care, and effective safe management of staff and resources.
We have specialist nurses, neuro-oncologist nurses, and advanced clinical practitioners working on the ward.
Why work for us?
- Excellent development opportunities both formally and informally are available and supported by the specialist clinical education team.
- Bedside teaching to improve knowledge and skills to ensure staff feel confident and competent to deliver safe, patient care.
- All new starters are supported and provided with an induction programme to support the trust preceptorship.
- Staff will follow the national neurosurgical competency framework.
- Opportunities to purse a link practitioner role.