Paediatric Physiotherapy Team, Derriford Hospital: 01752 432430
Our aim is to provide a quality, friendly and child centred service for children and young people living within the Plymouth area. We provide outpatient physiotherapy services to children with musculoskeletal conditions 0-13yrs and inpatient physiotherapy to children and young people 0-17yrs on our children’s High Dependancy Unit and wards, Woodcock and Wildgoose.
We are a team of chartered physiotherapists who have specialist experience of working with children and young people. Our team is available Monday to Friday 08.30-17.00 and we have an answerphone service for all other times. We work within a multidisciplinary team setting alongside our paediatric and orthopaedic doctor colleagues, as well as children’s nurses, orthotists and other health professionals.
We aim to treat everyone with respect, in a timely and efficient way using current best evidence and practices.
What conditions do we work with?
- Musculoskeletal conditions of newborns and infants, for example Erb’s Palsy, Torticollis, Plagiocephaly, Talipes and Hip Dysplasia
- Musculoskeletal conditions in young children such as hypermobility that is causing pain or limiting function, normal variations of walking e.g. toe walking, intoeing and flat feet. Some types of walking are considered normal in children, for more information on this please look at the relevant leaflets below. If after reading this information you are still concerned then we would be happy to assess your child.
- Musculoskeletal conditions in older children including Osgood Schlatters Disease, Severs Disease, joint pain, sporting injuries etc.
- Children with chronic pain and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Children with respiratory conditions and illnesses
What to expect when your child is referred to Physiotherapy?
We accept referrals from GPs, Paediatricians, Orthopaedic Surgeons and other therapists. When we receive a referral your child will be placed on to our waiting list and our administrative colleagues will then contact you to offer an appointment.
We offer appointments via telephone consult, video consult, or face to face at Derriford Hospital, either in the Children’s and Young People’s Outpatient Department (CYPOD) on level 12 or in the physiotherapy department on level 7. The location should be made clear on booking. We prefer children to either wear shorts, or bring them to change into, as it helps us to see the child’s legs clearly and assess them fully.
The first appointment will take up to one hour, and will involve the therapist asking a series of questions around the condition followed by a physical assessment to help diagnose the problem. Usually advice will be offered and if appropriate, a home exercise plan will be created for your child to work on. Follow up will be arranged as required, either via telephone or further face-to-face appointments.
Meet the Team!
Faye Nightingale, Band 7 Team Lead Paediatric Physiotherapist, Paediatric Orthopaedic ESP
|Katie Middleton||Laura Bonas||Ciara O'Shea|