Community Diagnostic Centre
Plymouth has been announced as a site for one of eight new Community Diagnostic Centres due to open. The new Diagnostic Centre will be located in Plymouth’s West End, helping regenerate the city centre and provide wider access to critical diagnostic tests.
Plymouth City Council has been working closely with the Trust and the new facility will provide outpatient diagnostic tests including MRI, CT, x-ray, lung cancer screening, ultrasound, audiology, ECG. point of care testing, and blood tests. More services could be added to this list in the future.
It is hoped the new Centre will offer 91,600 imaging tests, alongside a similar number of other tests, when services are live and fully running and the Centre is expected to start offering some tests from as early as September 2023.
CD Centre Benefits
The location in the city’s West End, one of the more deprived areas of Plymouth, is key as it means we can offer high quality diagnostics tests to people close to where they live, making it easier for them to attend appointments. We know that access to good, early diagnostics is key because having those tests early and getting an early diagnosis means people have a greater chance of a better outcome when there is something wrong. This should therefore reduce health inequities for those living in areas of greater deprivation and improve overall health outcomes in Plymouth.
CD Centre Team and key partners
The temporary CT scanner will be provided by TIC Healthcare. TIC Healthcare have been providing CT scanning services on behalf of the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust since 2021.
CD Centre Mobile CT Scanner
Plans are underway to prepare for the opening of a temporary CT scanner unit on the site by the end of September, while the design and build of the permanent building, also at Colin Campbell Court, continues. CT scans involve a series of x-rays which have incredible accuracy and allow Radiologists to detect disease or injury as early as possible. The benefits include reducing the need for exploratory surgeries, improving cancer diagnosis, and helping to determine treatment of injury, cardiac disease and stroke.
- The modular CT scanner has waiting facilities attached including an accessible toilet
- The scanner is wheelchair accessible
- The scanner is staﬀed by qualiﬁed HCPC registered CT radiographers, a healthcare assistant and a receptionist
- CT scans occasionally use a special dye called CT contrast. If this is required you will be cannulated (a small tube placed in a vein) on the unit by a qualiﬁed member of staﬀ
- The CT scanner is a state of the art scanner and is capable of high quality diagnostic images. Your diagnosis will NOT be aﬀected by being seen in the modular CT scanner
- TIC Healthcare have been providing CT scanning services on behalf of the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust since 2021
CD Centre Services
- Echocardiography (ECHO)
- Echocardiogram (ECG)
- Vascular Ultrasound
- Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring
- FeNo and Lung function tests
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Pacemaker clinic
- Simple field tests (e.g. 6 minute walk)
- Spirometry including broncho-dilator response
- Sleep investigations
CD Centre Transport information
Monday to Sunday - at all times including bank/public holidays.
9am to 9pm
- £1.65 one hour
- £2.90 two hours
- £3.85 up to three hours
9pm to 9am
- £1.65 one hour
- £2.90 two hours
- £3.85 over two hours
How to pay
- Pay and display machine (chip and contactless credit and debit card facilities only)
- Pay by RingGo via the mobile phone app, website or by phone on 01752 683 977. Colin Campbell Court car park location code is 16976.
The nearest bus stops are is situated on Western Approach and are served by the following services. 1, 1A, 2, 2A, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 12A 12D, 13, 16, 20, 20A, 27, 33, 35, 35A, 36, 42, 42A, 42B, 42C, 43, 44, 48, 50, 51, 59, 60, 61, 70, 70A, 70B, 72, 72A, 200
The Nearest station is Plymouth Railway station approximately a 20 minute walk away or a short taxi ride.
CD Centre Location
TIC Mobile CT Scanner,
Colin Campbell Court Carpark,
Plymouth PL1 1PZ