COVID rehabilitation: Speech & Language Therapy
Watch this video for more information on swallowing and speech issues following a COVID-19 infection.
You may experience changes to your voice, similar to when you experience a cold.
Tips for your vocal recovery:
- Keep well hydrated
- Try a gentle steam over hot water
- Avoid deliberate throat clearing
- Use your normal voice
- Avoid smoking or vaping
You may find your favourite foods taste and smell differently following your COVID illness. Food may taste bland, salty, sweet or metallic. It is important to choose foods that appeal to you to ensure you eat well, but continue to retry foods as your taste preferences change.
Some people are experiencing changes to their swallow. Some signs to look out for are:
- Coughing and throat clearing when eating and drinking
- Recurrent chest infections
- Having a wet, bubbly voice when eating or drinking
- Difficulty managing secretions
If you are deliberately paying attention to a smell you are truly in the present moment. Try to find a smell that has positive associations for you – maybe one that reminds you of happy times, or a smell which you enjoy. Use it to bring yourself back to the present moment.
- Small bottles of essential oils - e.g. eucalyptus, mint, lavender, lemon
- Small dried flowers such as lavender
- Perfume soaked on a tissue
- Whole spices from the kitchen