Miss Sue Fullilove MBBS MA FRCS(Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic Hand Surgeon
President, British Society for Surgery of the Hand
Miss Fullilove graduated from Pembroke College in Oxford in 1987 with a 1st class Honours degree and Hockey and Squash Blues. She completed her medical training at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London and qualified as a doctor in 1990. Junior surgical training was undertaken in London, Oxford, South Africa, and Zambia. Senior surgical Fellowships in Upper Limb, Wrist and Hand Surgery took place in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada. Miss Fullilove was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic and Hand Surgeon to the Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2002 and now practices exclusively Hand and Wrist Surgery in Devon.
She is currently President of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand. She has previously served the Society on Committees and Council, as Chair of the Audit Committee and as Treasurer.
Miss Fullilove has a strong association with the European Journal of Hand Surgery. She has sat on the Editorial Board since 2012 and worked as a reviewer for the Journal. She is currently part of the Committee of Management for the Journal.
A keen teacher, Miss Fullilove is faculty on several local and national courses (Plymouth Arthroscopy course, AO UK Hand and Wrist Courses), and lectures on a variety of other courses (Instructional Courses in Hand Surgery) and at national and international meetings (British, European and International Societies for Surgery of the Hand).
Active in research, Miss Fullilove has led the Hand Unit in Plymouth as a participant in several large, national multi-centre trials with new discoveries in the field of Dupuytren’s disease and scaphoid fractures.
She lives on Dartmoor with her husband and 3 children and continues to be active in sport and travel.
- Prinicipal Investigator: Genetics of Dupuytrens' disease (Oxford). 2 independent trials, prospective and retrospective. 2013. Published in New Eng J Med.
- Prinicipal Investigator: Outcomes of Dupuytrens' surgery (Nottingham). 2013. Several publications, mostly European J Hand Surg
- Principal Investigator: SWIFFT trial (Warwick). 2016. Surgery v plaster treatment of scaphoid fractures
- Pilot study site (Investigator). Multicentre trial on steroid injection vs surgery in moderate Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (INDICATE).
- Co-investigator (Plymouth) MRI scanning of xray and CT negative wrist injuries. 2018
- Prinicipal Investigator: DISC trial. Surgery v collagenase injection for Dupuytrens’ disease. Currently recruiting
- Functional Outcome and complications following surgery for Dupuytren's disease: a multi-centre cross-sectional study J.Rodrigues, W.Zhang .... S. Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur 2016. Winner of the International Dupuytren Award 2017, awarded by the International Dupuytren Society. Top most downloaded JHSE paper 2016-17. Podium presentation at FESSH Congress, June 2017
- Recovery, responsiveness and interpretability of patient-reported outcome measures after surgery for Dupuytren's disease J.Rodrigues, W. Zhang.... S. Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur 2017. Mar 42(3), 301-309
- Dorsally displaced fractures of the distal radius. A critical appraisal of the DRAFFT (distal radius acute fracture fixation trial) study. S. Fullilove and C.Gozzard. Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:298-300
- Validity of the DASH and QuickDash scores when used in Dupuytren's disease. J.Rodrigues, W.Zhang .... S.Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2015 Aug 25. pii: 1753193415601350. [Epub ahead of print]
- A Comparison of PEM and EQ5D questionnaires. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Correlation between the DASH and QuickDASH in Dupuytrens disease. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complication rates following different Dupuytrens disease treatments and associated factors - A multicentre case control study. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - A closed loop audit of fracture clinic guidelines. Podium presentation, Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand Congress, 2014
- First reported case of deep vein thrombosis following routine, day-case wrist surgery – case report and review of the literature. Kosy J, Fullilove SM. Poster presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, 2014
- Wnt signaling and Dupuytren’s disease. Dolmans GH et al.N Engl J Med July 2011. Multicentre study for which I was the Principal Investigator for Plymouth.
- Hills-sachs type lesion of the capitellum. Hall MJ, Fullilove SM, Keenan J. J Trauma. 2010.
- The supination deformity and associated deformities of the upper limb in severe birth lesions of the brachial plexus. Yam, Fullilove SM, Sinisi M, Fox M. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009.
- A carpal boss leading to extensor tendon ruptures - a case report. Williams MR, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008.
- Delayed post-traumatic midcarpal dislocation. Hawken RM, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007
- The role of cement in glenoid replacement. Fullilove SM, Sonnabend D. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2001.
- Local and systemic concentrations of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in bacterial osteomyelitis. Fullilove S M, Jellis J, Hughes SP, Remick DG, Friedland JS. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2000
- Major limb deformities as complications of vascular access in neonates. S. Fullilove and J. Fixsen. Paediatr Anaesth. 1997.
- Proliferative myositis in a child. A case report. Pollock L, Fullilove SM, Shaw DG, Malone M, Hill RA. J Bone Joint Surg Am.1995.
Contact details: Orthopaedic Department, Level 11, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth. PL6 8DH
Secretary: 01752 433029.
Find out more about the Hand Surgery service here »