Miss Sue Fullilove MBBS MA FRCS(Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Miss Fullilove graduated from Pembroke College in Oxford in 1987 with a 1st class Honours degree and Hockey and Squash Blues. She completed her medical training at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London and qualified as a doctor in 1990. Junior surgical training was undertaken in London, Oxford, South Africa, and Zambia. Senior surgical training in the form of Fellowships in Upper Limb, Wrist and Hand Surgery took place in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada. Miss Fullilove was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic and Hand Surgeon to the Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust in 2002 and now practices exclusively Hand and Wrist Surgery in Devon.
She is Treasurer and Trustee for the British Society for Surgery of the Hand from 2015 to 2019. In 2020 Miss Fullilove will be President Elect of the society and in 2021, she will serve as President of the BSSH.
Miss Fullilove has a strong association with the European Journal of Hand Surgery. She has sat on the Editorial Board since 2012 and worked as a reviewer for the Journal. She has also been part of the Committee of Management for the Journal since 2015.
A keen teacher, Miss Fullilove is faculty on several local and national courses (Plymouth Arthroscopy course, AO UK Hand and Wrist Courses), and lectures on a variety of other courses (Instructional Courses in Hand Surgery) and at national and international meetings (British, European and International Societies for Surgery of the Hand).
Active in research, Miss Fullilove has led the Hand Unit in Plymouth as a participant in several large, national multi-centre trials with new discoveries in the field of Dupuytren’s disease and scaphoid fractures.
She lives on Dartmoor with her husband and 3 children and continues to be active in sport and travel.
- Medical student at Pembroke College, Oxford University and at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
- Surgical training in Oxford, London and South Africa.
- Orthopaedic placements in London, Zambia and Ethiopia.
- Fellowships in Hand and Upper Limb Surgery in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada.
- BA(1st class Hons) - 1987 Oxford University
- MBBS - 1990 St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London
- MA(Oxon) - 1991 Oxford University
- FRCS(Orth) - 1999 Royal College of Surgeons (Eng)
- Completion of Specialist Training – 2000
- Consultant Orthopaedic Hand & Wrist Surgeon, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth (2002 – date)
- Honorary Lecturer, Peninsula Medical School
Professional interests and appointments
- Clinical practice, research, training and development in Hand & Wrist Surgery.
- Auditing surgical outcomes (Designer and developer of the National UK Hand Registry; past Chairman of the BSSH Audit Committee)
- Council Member and Trustee, British Society for Surgery of the Hand (2012 – date)
- Honorary Treasurer, British Society for Surgery of the Hand (2015 – date)
- Member of Editorial Board and Reviewer, British and European Journal of Hand Surgery (2011 – date): Committee of Management of the Journal of Hand Surgery (2015-2019)
- President of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2021. President Elect, 2020.
- Faculty - AO UK Hand and Wrist Course, Plymouth Arthroscopy Course, Basic Surgical Skills, BSSH Instructional Course Lectures. Clinical Supervisor for a Higher Surgical Trainee
- Prinicipal Investigator: Genetics of Dupuytrens' disease (Oxford). 2 independent trials, prospective and retrospective. 2013. Published in New Eng J Med.
- Prinicipal Investigator: Outcomes of Dupuytrens' surgery (Nottingham). 2013. Several publications, mostly European J Hand Surg
- Principal Investigator: SWIFFT trial (Warwick). 2016. Surgery v plaster treatment of scaphoid fractures
- Pilot study site (Investigator). Multicentre trial on steroid injection vs surgery in moderate Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (INDICATE).
- Co-investigator (Plymouth) MRI scanning of xray and CT negative wrist injuries. 2018
- Prinicipal Investigator: DISC trial. Surgery v collagenase injection for Dupuytrens’ disease. Currently recruiting
- Functional Outcome and complications following surgery for Dupuytren's disease: a multi-centre cross-sectional study J.Rodrigues, W.Zhang .... S. Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur 2016. Winner of the International Dupuytren Award 2017, awarded by the International Dupuytren Society. Top most downloaded JHSE paper 2016-17. Podium presentation at FESSH Congress, June 2017
- Recovery, responsiveness and interpretability of patient-reported outcome measures after surgery for Dupuytren's disease J.Rodrigues, W. Zhang.... S. Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur 2017. Mar 42(3), 301-309
- Dorsally displaced fractures of the distal radius. A critical appraisal of the DRAFFT (distal radius acute fracture fixation trial) study. S. Fullilove and C.Gozzard. Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:298-300
- Validity of the DASH and QuickDash scores when used in Dupuytren's disease. J.Rodrigues, W.Zhang .... S.Fullilove. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2015 Aug 25. pii: 1753193415601350. [Epub ahead of print]
- A Comparison of PEM and EQ5D questionnaires. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Correlation between the DASH and QuickDASH in Dupuytrens disease. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complication rates following different Dupuytrens disease treatments and associated factors - A multicentre case control study. Podium presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, May 2014
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - A closed loop audit of fracture clinic guidelines. Podium presentation, Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand Congress, 2014
- First reported case of deep vein thrombosis following routine, day-case wrist surgery – case report and review of the literature. Kosy J, Fullilove SM. Poster presentation, BSSH Scientific Meeting, 2014
- Wnt signaling and Dupuytren’s disease. Dolmans GH et al.N Engl J Med July 2011. Multicentre study for which I was the Principal Investigator for Plymouth.
- Hills-sachs type lesion of the capitellum. Hall MJ, Fullilove SM, Keenan J. J Trauma. 2010.
- The supination deformity and associated deformities of the upper limb in severe birth lesions of the brachial plexus. Yam, Fullilove SM, Sinisi M, Fox M. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009.
- A carpal boss leading to extensor tendon ruptures - a case report. Williams MR, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008.
- Delayed post-traumatic midcarpal dislocation. Hawken RM, Fullilove SM. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007
- The role of cement in glenoid replacement. Fullilove SM, Sonnabend D. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2001.
- Local and systemic concentrations of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in bacterial osteomyelitis. Fullilove S M, Jellis J, Hughes SP, Remick DG, Friedland JS. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2000
- Major limb deformities as complications of vascular access in neonates. S. Fullilove and J. Fixsen. Paediatr Anaesth. 1997.
- Proliferative myositis in a child. A case report. Pollock L, Fullilove SM, Shaw DG, Malone M, Hill RA. J Bone Joint Surg Am.1995.
Contact details Orthopaedic Department Level 11 Derriford Hospital Plymouth. PL6 8DH
Phone: 01752 433029 (Secretary, Lana Cook)
- Find out more about the Hand Surgery service here »