Welcome to Plymouth Hospital NHS Trust Audiology Services
Audiology is the science of hearing and vestibular (balance) function. The audiology service sees patients of all ages who have hearing and balance disorders. We carry out a variety of different tests, depending on the age and ability of the patient, and whether they have any specialist hearing problems, including hearing loss and tinnitus. Once tests are completed the team can make recommendations and provide appropriate rehabilitation. The department also tests patients who are suffering with their balance or dizziness.
Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust is the largest provider of adult hearing services in the South West Peninsula, seeing over 30,000 patients each year. The service is offered to patients from Plymouth, North and East Cornwall, South Hams and West Devon, with clinics held at our main hospital site in Plymouth, as well as a number of community hospitals and health centres across this area. We also carry out domiciliary care for people who are housebound, at the request of the GP.
The audiology service provides a holistic approach to audiology services for both adults and children of all ages, including the following:
- Community newborn hearing screening programme, including the provision of screening to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit babies and Automated Auditory Brainstem Response in the community
- Community paediatric assessment via referral from public health, GP or hospital consultant
- The paediatric hearing aid service for the Plymouth Hospitals footprint
- Hearing aid services for adults via direct referral from GP or via consultant referral for people with multiple difficulties
- Specialist audiological services, including bone anchored hearing aids, services for adults with learning difficulties and services for adults with complex needs
- A comprehensive hearing therapy service.
Clinics in the community are held for children and adults and an open access repair service is available. Paediatric clinics are held at Ivybridge, Kingsbridge and Tavistock and adult clinics at Kingsbridge, Tavistock, Liskeard, Launceston and Stratton. The clinics are held mostly once a month or fortnightly by appointment.
The repair service is a walk-in service at Derriford or an appointment can be arranged and booked at one of the outreach clinics. To make an appointment please contact Outpatients at the relevant centre directly.
|Monday||9.00am-12.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am-12.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Thursday||2.00pm - 4.00pm|
|Friday||9.00am-12.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm|
Repairs at outreach clinics can be arranged by appointment at the following centres: