Exercise sources of inspiration and support
Marjon University 4 week exercise programme - *During Covid-19 restrictions Marjon are offering free, remote consultations*. Working in partnership with Marjon Health and Wellbeing, this is an online group clinic that offers the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of exercise including exercising safely, how to get active in and around your home, and the benefits that exercise can bring. In addition, other topics may be covered to promote a healthy lifestyle including nutrition, stress management or sleep techniques. The online sessions will consist of a 1-to-1 consultation with your Health and Wellbeing practitioner, so you can get to know each other and discuss your goals for the upcoming sessions, followed by 4 sessions over 4 week on an online platform. Support will also be available through email. Please contact the Mustard Tree for more information.
- One you Plymouth can help you take the first steps to living a healthier lifestyle, supporting you to make simple changes towards a longer and happier life. One You Plymouth provides tools, support and encouragement every step of the way, to help improve your health and lifestyle by making small changes yourself, or with friends and family. Follow the link to learn more
- Find local walks through Walking for Health as a great way to get active, explore walks on your doorstep and make new friends
- Walk England advise on all aspects of walking including techniques to encourage more people to walk more and how walking can improve health and wellbeing. For inspiration and support follow this link
- Activity Alliance has produced a guide, from the English Federation of Disability Sport (EFDS) and Disability Rights UK, to support people with a disability engage in exercise. Download their Being Active guide here
- Couch to 5K is a running plan for absolute beginners offered by the NHS. The plan involves 3 runs a week, with a day of rest in between, and a different schedule for each of the 9 weeks. See here for more information
Weight loss support
- Try the NHS Weight Loss Plan which is a free 12 week diet and exercise plan
- One You Plymouth offer a 10 week weight loss programme funded by the NHS. Text “EAT” to 66777 or visit www.oneyouplymouth.co.uk/eat-well or call 01752 437177.
- To find weight loss support groups in your area follow this link to the NHS weight loss support group search
- Helpful downloads
- Keep a physical activity dairy to keep motivated and track your progression. You can try this one.
- The Eat Well Guide
- Diet and Physical activity booklet by Prostate Cancer UK