Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Centre
The Dietitian is part of the Upper GI Surgery Team. During your stay in hospital, you will meet a Dietitian who will provide you with nutritional advice. Following your surgery we will design a dietary plan to meet your needs both in hospital and at home.
The following booklets will be available from your dietician:
- Recipes for nourishing drinks
- Fluid diet
- Help when you feel full quickly
- Using a calorie supplement
- Looking after your feeding tube
- Soft food diet sheet
- Little and Often – Plymouth Nutrition & Dietetic Service
- Puree Diet
- Dietary Advice for Dumping Syndrome
Liver and HPB Centre
During your stay in hospital you can be referred to a Dietitian, who will provide you with additional nutritional advice.
If you are preparing to have pancreatic or liver surgery it is important that you adhere to a healthy diet and lifestyle. This will help increase your body's fitness for surgery.
- Avoid alcohol completely
- Try to stop smoking (we can provide you with information and support)
- Regular exercise e.g. walking up to 3 miles a day
- Take a healthy diet, with plenty of fresh protein-rich foods along with fruit and vegetables.
- If you would like further information on getting ready for your operation, your clinical nurse specialist will be happy to discuss all these issues.
- As part of your Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Programme, you may be given nutritional supplement drinks both before surgery