Ophthalmology is the diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the eyes. Our ophthalmic services are provided in purpose-built facilities at Derriford Hospital.
- Outpatients and Urgent Care is located on level 3. Please follow the yellow signs around the hospital with REI written on them.
- The Day Case Unit and Theatres are based on level 7
The REI (formerly known as the Royal Eye Infirmary) provides a specialist service for the population of Devon and Cornwall for all emergency, inpatient and daycase procedures and the hospital hosts its own theatres, ward and outpatient suites.
The majority of ophthalmology work is elective (outpatient, day case or inpatient) although Ophthalmology Urgent Care treats emergency cases.
The REI provides a full range of diagnostic facilities incorporating orthoptics and optometry with plans to expand the dispensing element of the service.
Ophthalmologists are supported by the following specialist services:
- Optometry: The measurement of visual refraction power and the correction of visual defects with lenses or glasses
- Perimetry: The measurement of the field of vision (visual fields)
- Orthoptics: The study and treatment of defects in binocular vision (using both eyes equally)
- Medical Photography of the eyes which forms an essential element.
Useful contact numbers
REI Outpatient Appointments:
01752 439305, 439301
REI Dispensing Department (Opticians):
REI Daycase Unit
Admissions: 01752 439316, 439317
Wet AMD Coordinator: 01752 439363
Consultant Secretaries (not for appointments)
In an emergency
Anyone needing emergency eye care or treating someone who does (doctors or opticians) should call the Telephone Triage Number 01752 439330 which is covered:
Monday- Friday 08.30-18.00
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 09.00-13.00
Your call will be placed in a queue, if you hear the ringing tone please hold, as we are on the line to other patients.
Advice will be given by a Nurse Practitioner and, if necessary, the patient will be told when and where to attend.
Outside of these hours patients with an eye emergency or sight threatening conditions should attend their local Minor Injury Unit, out of hours Doctor Service, contact NHS111 or attend the Emergency Department at Derriford Hospital.