Surgery under General Anaesthetic
Date issued: July 2019
For review: July 2021
Ref: A-421/Freedom Unit/MS/Undergoing surgery general anaesthetic
PDF: undergoing surgery general anaesthetic [pdf] 208KB
Important to remember
Your letter from the Hospital has given you a date and time to arrive at the Freedom Unit.
The Unit is an operating department with a reception area.
We operate from 08.30hrs until 18.00hrs with evening surgery after 17.30hrs until 21.00hrs
The time on your letter is NOT the time of your surgery.
You may have to wait up to 4 hours before your surgery.
Once arrived, please use the water fountains as advised.
What to bring for surgery:
- A small bag containing dressing gown, pyjamas, slippers and an overnight wash bag.
- Your regular medications in the green bag provided by Pre op assessment unit
- We advise NOT to bring in valuables. Mobile phone and charger are fine, as well as £5 for activating TV at the bedside. While you have surgery, your belongings will be locked in a personal locker. We cannot accept any responsibility for loss or damage to your valuables.
- Relatives are welcome; however please remember this is an operating theatre unit and there are limited facilities for relatives and/or friends.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate relatives in the recovery room.
- Let us know if you have any special dietary needs.
In the first 48 hours after surgery:
Monday -Friday, 8am-8pm contact:
Derriford Hospital Freedom Unit
Tel: 01752 763968
After 8pm and at weekends contact
Duty Senior Nurse via Derriford Hospital switchboard
48 hours or more after surgery
Contact your GP or practice nurse
Tel: 01752 202082
How to get here
The Freedom Unit is situated towards the rear of the main hospital.
From the Multi Storey car park: make your way down the hill, past Maternity and the Terence Lewis Building to the bottom of the hill. There is a DROP OFF AREA outside the unit.
From main entrance: access through the Hospital is via Level 6 either stairs or lift to level 3.
Follow signs which will take you to the level 3 coffee shop, then, through here, down steps, turn left and the Unit is in front of you. This route is not suitable for wheelchair users.
Please ask to SABA parking desk on level 6 for help if you have a reduced mobility condition.
If you need assistance please see staff on the SABA Help desk on level 6 . They will be able to direct you.