Date issued: September 2021
Review date: September 2023
Ref: B-360 v2
Your functional brace
At first your new brace will feel strange. Don’t be surprised if it takes a few days to get used to it. Speaking will be difficult for the first few days and your mouth will feel wetter than usual. Your jaws may ache a little when you start treatment.
There are some important things you can do to help your treatment work well.
- Wear your brace all day and all night, except when cleaning your teeth, at mealtimes or when playing sport or swimming. The more you wear your brace, the quicker your treatment will be finished.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day.
- Take your brace out to clean your teeth. Rinse your brace in warm water and clean it gently with a toothbrush.
- Keep your brace safe in a small firm pot when it is not in your mouth.
- If your brace is very uncomfortable or you have a problem, let us know as soon as you can by phoning the Orthodontic Department. Do not wait until your next appointment.
- Carry on seeing your own dentist for regular check-ups during your orthodontic treatment.
Your brace has been made especially for you.
Please take good care of it!
You have been given a patient statement telling you how your brace has been made.
If your brace is lost or damaged beyond repair due to carelessness, you may have to pay for a replacement.
This appliance is manufactured for exclusive use by this patient and conforms to the essential requirements of the MDD regulations S11994/3017