Home Page

National industrial action update 03 April, 2023 – junior doctors

Planned industrial action has been announced by the British Medical Association (BMA) involving junior doctors. The action will run for 96-hours starting 7am on Tuesday 11 April, to 7am on Saturday 15 April.

Industrial action is a national dispute between the Government and Trades Unions about terms and conditions. We are committed to keeping patient and staff safety as our priority.


What will be different?

The four days of strike action comes immediately after the easter bank holiday weekend, which is traditionally a challenging time for the hospital. We are working hard to ensure there is minimal disruption to patient care and that emergency services continue to operate as normal. We are currently developing our plans for the proposed action and its impact on our services, patients and staff.

Outpatients appointments and planned activity may be affected. Patients should continue to attend appointments as planned unless contacted to reschedule. We will be re-arranging any postponed appointments as a priority.

We will be in touch with you directly if your appointment has been affected so we can rearrange another date. You will be contacted if your appointment has been postponed, so please do not call us.


What can I do to help?

Our Emergency Department (ED)

Please use our Emergency Department if you have a life-threatening emergency. Please be aware that our service, like the wider NHS and local health and care system, is very busy:

  • If you have a minor illness or minor injury, local GP surgeries and pharmacies are open.
  • If you have an urgent medical problem that isn’t an emergency contact 111 first by phone or online.
  • The Urgent Treatment Centre at the Cumberland Centre in Devonport is open every day to treat you if you have an injury which isn’t life-threatening, but requires urgent treatment. Our Minor Injury Units at Tavistock and South Hams Hospital are also open everyday. You can find out more about our UTC and MIUs here.


Who do I speak to if I want to share a concern?

If you need help or support regarding our services, please speak to the relevant department or service in the first instance, or contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) for further support:

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Please answer the question below, this helps us to reduce the number of spam emails that we receive so that we can spend more time responding to genuine enquiries and feedback. Thank you.


Our site uses cookies to help give you a better experience. If you choose not to accept these cookies, our site will still work correctly but some content may not display. You can read our cookie policy here

Please choose a setting: