Exercise Opportunities through the Mustard Tree
The Mustard Tree Cancer Support Centre is able to offer different exercise opportunities to patients. Some of the opportunities will also allow carers to attend to help assist should they need to or even take part.
Why is Exercise Important?
During cancer treatment – physical activity improves, or prevents the decline of physical function without increasing fatigue
• After cancer treatment – physical activity helps recover physical function
• During and after cancer treatment – physical activity can reduce the risk of cancer recurrence for some cancers and can reduce the risk of developing other long term conditions
• Advanced cancer – physical activity can help maintain independence and wellbeing
Research findings point to the importance of exercise and increased physical activity for improving cancer survival rates and reducing risk of recurrence.
Ref: The Importance of Physical Activity for People Living with and Beyond Cancer – A Concise Evidence Review, Macmillan Cancer Support June 2012
There are many benefits to participating in physical activity programmes to staying fit and healthy:
- Improve social interaction
- Lift mood
- Keeps the mind stimulated
- Build strength
- Improve muscles
- Increase core stability
- Lose weight