The Plymouth Nephrology Service located at Derriford Hospital provides a full range of renal replacement therapy to East Cornwall and South Devon and renal transplantation to approximately half of the South West peninsula including Exeter, Cornwall and parts of Devon. The Plymouth Nephrology Service provides 24 hour care for adult patients with acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease and with end stage renal failure. The inpatient service is delivered from a 23 bedded ward (Mayflower ward), which is fully compliant with national standards of care. In
addition to medical treatment, the service provides acute inpatient dialysis and renal transplantation.
Services provided include:
- Renal Transplantation. The South West Transplant Centre (SWTC) at Derriford Hospital provides an assessment and treatment service for donors and recipients of kidneys. SWTC also has a proactive live donor and altruistic donor programme. This is supported by the provision of consultant and nurse led clinics. The service is provided for adults and to children over 16 years of age as they transition from paediatric services into adult care.
- Inpatient Haemodialysis.
- Outpatient Haemodialysis at the Estover dialysis unit in Plymouth and access to satellite units in Kingsbridge, Launceston, Bodmin and Torbay
- Plasma exchange service.
- Inpatient elective and emergency care for kidney disease.
- Outpatient follow up for the long term condition of Chronic Kidney disease.
- Education and training for patients with renal disease.
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD). CAPD is provided on an outpatient basis for the long term condition management of end stage renal failure. Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis (APD) and Automated Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis (AAPD) are other available options which are undertaken in the patients’ own home either by patients or with assistance from specialist nurses.
Peripheral clinics are held at Totnes, Kingsbridge, Holsworthy, Launceston and Liskeard.
Renal secretaries: 01752 439052, 431308, 439753, 439954
CKD Team 01752 439960
Transplant team:01752 439957
Dialysis unit: 01752 431700
Mayflower ward: 01752 431485