All expectant mothers from Plymouth, South East Cornwall and South Hams, who chose to have their pregnancy care at Derriford Hospital, are offered routine antenatal screening tests, which conform to national standards. Our screening tests include:
- Screening for infectious diseases (including HIV, hepatitis B, and syphilis)
- Screening for sickle cell and thalassaemia
- First trimester screening for Down's, Edwards' and Patau's syndromes is offered from 11+2 to 14+1 weeks. Information about this scan can be found here.
- Second trimester screening is offered for Down’s syndrome from 14+2 to 20 weeks.
- a fetal anomaly scan offered between 18 to 20+6 weeks' gestation to check for possible physical abnormalities with the baby. Information about this scan can be found here.
Further information is available in a range of formats about all routine antenatal screening tests for you and your baby. If you scroll down this page, you will find an easy read and audio version of the screening booklet.
Follow this link for a short animated video on screening for you and your baby.
Follow this link for a short animated video on the screening timeline
If you feel you may have been exposed to parvovirus (slapped cheek) in your pregnancy then please contact your community midwife or GP to have a blood test to check if you are already immune to the virus. If it is found that you have been exposed to parvovirus for the first time in this pregnancy you will need follow up with a fetal medicine consultant. More information in the form of a leaflet can be found here.
Contact details for the Screening Midwives are 01752 439792 if you wish to discuss any aspect of your pregnancy screening.
The Maternity Line number is 01752 430200.
The Maternity Line is for all calls related to pregnancy from 20 weeks gestation, labour and newborn babies.
Before 20 weeks gestation the GP should be contacted
If it is an emergency, 999 should be called.