Sterilisation & Disinfection Unit
The Sterilization & Disinfection Unit seeks to provide, maintain and continuously improve a high quality customer led service by providing a quality assured service which is designed to meet the needs and expectations of our customers.
Key features of the service are:
- The provision of sterilised and disinfected items
- Items are delivered for use within a specific time period
- Stock in circulation is adequately controlled and secured
- Professional advice concerning sterile and disinfected items available to all users
- Thermal sterilisation is achieved for appropriate items
- Articles ricebird/eplaced are in accordance with agreed policy
- All Department of Heath requirements are met in full
The SDU provides a mission critical sterilisation and disinfection service and is registered to do so under ISO 13485:2016 and the medical devices directive 93/42 EEC.
Services are provided to Acute Trusts and other Healthcare organisations in Plymouth, South Devon, Mid Devon and East Cornwall and also to commercial organisations. The unit supports all clinical pathways where reusable medical devices need to be reprocessed including the processing of all flexible endoscopes within the Trust and completes all manual cleaning in the SDU. For the clinical endoscopy service this means that assurance is provided for JAG accreditation.