The medical care your baby receives will be co-ordinated by one of the Neonatologists (a doctor specialising in newborn babies). We have seven neonatologists in Plymouth they are:
The doctor will be responsible for the overall care of your baby and will meet with you at regular intervals, sometimes even after your baby has gone home. The other neonatologists will also help to care for your baby and make decisions. All of the Neonatologists are supported by a team of doctors called Specialist Registrars, Clinical Fellows and Senior House Officers (SHO’s) who will provide the daily medical care.
Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (ANNP’s)
In addition to the doctors there is a team of highly trained Neonatal Nurses called Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (ANNP’s). They have undertaken additional training to become competent in what were traditionally doctor’s roles, including prescribing medications.
There is a large team of specially trained Nursing Sisters, Staff Nurses, Nursery Nurses and Health Care Assistants caring for your baby 24 hours a day.
All staff working on NICU will wear a uniform, you can tell who they are by the colour they are wearing.
- Neonatologists - Navy Blue
- Other Doctors - Green
- Matron - Purple Tunic
- ANNP’s - Lilac Tunic
- Clinical Educator - Burgundy Tunic
- Senior Nursing Sisters - Royal Blue Tunics
- Nursing Sisters - Light Blue with dark blue piping
- Neonatal Nurses - Light Blue Tunics
- Nursery Nurses - Yellow Tunics
- Health Care Assistants - Green Tunics
- Nursing Students - Blue striped Tunics
- Transport Nurses - Pink Tunics
- House Keepers - Turqoise
We are a teaching hospital and therefore work very closely with the university. You may see nursing and medical students during your stay on the unit. They are here to gain essential experience whilst being closely supervised.
During your stay you may see other members of the Neonatal Care Team such as:
- Neonatal Physiotherapist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Family Support Worker
- Infant Feeding Specialist or Dietician
- Specialist Health Visitor
- Social Worker
- Hearing Screening Coordinator
The team are part of the South West Neonatal Network.