We are delighted to introduce the VIP Awards to UHP.
The VIP Awards are an ongoing recognition scheme, created for staff and patients to celebrate and recognise our colleague’s hard work and what they have done well.
Recognition, celebration and acknowledging the efforts and achievements of our colleagues is important to us.
We know that often our workforce can make a significant impact on the patients and colleagues that they come in to contact with, whether through an act of kindness or truly excelling in something with care and compassion.
One of UHP's core values is to Put People First; and we want to highlight the care we have for our colleagues and demonstrate that they are valued and appreciated.
Celebrate a member of the #1BigTeam by nominating them for a VIP Award.
The VIP Awards recognises all UHP staff members who have shown the Trust’s core values through their work.
- All full and part-time staff, apprentices and staff on Fixed Term Contracts working at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
- Must not be going through a disciplinary action or process
You could nominate someone for a VIP Award because they:
- Communicate openly, transparently and with integrity;
- Support people to thrive and champion the wellbeing and success of others;
- Recognise, respect and celebrate people's differences;
- Stay calm and remain focused when the unexpected happens;
- Listen and communicate thoughtfully;
- Acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of others;
- Speak up when something does not seem or feel right to them;
- Seek out, listen and learn from people with different perspectives and experiences;
- Are open to change new idea, and exploring different ways of working.
Our Trust’s Values into Practice looks like this
Nominees must be able to display UHP's Core Values. Below is how a member of staff may demonstrate the values.
Our values are:
- Put people first
- Take ownership
- Listen, learn and improve
- Respect others
- Be positive
In action, the Trust values look like this:
- We give feedback kindly and directly;
- We take time to look after ourselves and others;
- We are kind and civil without words and actions;
- We listen to each other with curiosity;
- We try to be helpful;
- We listen to understand not to reply;
- When someone does something well, we say so;
- We speak up if something does not seem right;
- We believe everyone is doing their best.
How to make a nomination
Nominees for the VIP Awards are for individuals who are being recognised for their work at the Trust. However, entries that nominate teams, wards and departments, may be considered for the #ChiefExecShoutOut.
Please ensure that the nominee's name is written in full in order for the VIP Awards team to correctly identify who you are nominating.
Additionally, if you need inspiration on how to write your nomination, below shows some good examples of entries that have been submitted.
You can nominate a member of staff using an online form below:
How the winners are selected and notified
The judging committee, made up of representatives across multiple departments at UHP will receive the nominations on a monthly basis and will select their VIP by assessing the entries.
When are the awards presented?
The winners will be presented with an award by a member of the Senior Leadership Team in the winner’s area of work or department. The winners will also be featured on Daily Email, Friday Five, social media and will be displayed on an archive of winners on the plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk website.
Winners of the VIP Awards will also be rewarded with a VIP package of their choosing.
VIP Award Nomination Entry - Examples
Note: these are entries that we have received, but in order to keep the nominee's anonymity, we have removed their name.
Their with over two decades of service at our Trust, is a shining example of healthcare excellence. My nomination is grounded in their profound commitment to core values and qualities that define exceptional healthcare professionals.
Their transparent and honest communication fosters trust and reliability within our teams. They are a mentor who tirelessly supports the well-being and professional growth of their colleagues and teams, championing their success. Their ability to listen thoughtfully and communicate effectively enhances patient care and teamwork. They readily acknowledges and celebrates the accomplishments of others, nurturing a culture of appreciation.
Beyond this, their openness to change and innovation is inspiring. They actively seeks diverse perspectives and embraces new ideas, enriching our healthcare community with a fresh approach.
What sets them apart is their genuine appreciation for diversity. They recognises, respects, and celebrates the differences among individuals, creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels valued and heard.
In times of crisis, their unwavering composure is a pillar of strength. They remains focused when the unexpected occurs, providing stability and reassurance to patients and colleagues alike.
They are not just a nurse; they are a patient advocate who speaks up when something isn't right. Their commitment to patient safety and quality care is unwavering.
In summary, they embody the Trust values. They are a role model and a vital asset to the Trust. I would like to nominate them as a well-deserved recognition of their outstanding contributions to our teams on day-to-day basis.
They have has been with the trust working in Obs and Gynae theatres since freedom fields. I have had the pleasure of working with them on nights in Maternity for a number of years. All the time I have worked with them, they have been an inspiration. They always give 100 % and it is an honour to see how they not only conducts themselves, but the way they uphold the trust values and works to distill this in new comers. They are always a pleasure to work with and even in stressful situations as we can encounter in Obstetrics, they act calmly, methodically and sincerely. They have an abundance of knowledge which she openly shares and works to pass onto less experienced members of staff.
More recently, they have used their spare time and volunteered to work with bereaved parents to help regenerate to garden of remembrance for those that have lost their new borns. Obtaining some funding and and donations from local businesses to repair and replant to make the garden a welcoming place away from the main hospital to take some quiet time to remember those taken too soon.
Working nights, I feel staff are sometimes forgotten about. I feel strongly about recommending them as they are an absolute inspiration and someone I admire and strive to be like. Please consider this nomination as I know there will be others that feel they are a well deserved receiver of such recognition.
Bank Member of the Month for NHSP
Would you like to nominate a member of staff that is a Bank Member of NHS Professionals for University Hospitals Plymouth?
They have relaunched the Bank Member of the Month Award and has been running for several years but we have given it a refresh in order for more Bank Members to be recognised for their contribution to their Trust and the wider NHS.
Vote for the Bank Member of the Month here.
Recognising those nominated:
- Every Bank Member that receives a nomination will now receive a certificate of thanks.
- Out of all of the nominations, a top nomination from each Trust will be selected by the NHS Professionals Marketing team. The winner in each Trust will receive a certificate and pin badge, which will say 'Bank Member of The Month' and has the icon on a white badge.
- We will also have two overall Bank Member of the Month winners, one for the North and one for the South region. The top nominations from both regions will be sent to an Account Director based in that region to pick a winner. This winner will receive a £100 Love2Shop Voucher, thank you card, certificate and pin badge, which will have gold edging and the word 'winner' on it in gold.
Saying Thank You
Say thank you
Say Thank You and Learn from Excellence is a way for staff and patients to say thank you and show appreciation for something a member of staff or team has done well.
If you would you like to thank a member of staff, or want to recognise a colleague for their exceptional work, you can do so here: