The Plymouth Diabetes Outpatient Service comprises of specialist Doctors, Dieititians and Nurses who provide clinics and group education to people with diabetes.
Based on 6 level of Derriford Hospital the Diabetes Centre is situated close the main outpatient department and has its own waiting area and reception manned by either Val Taylor or Sonia Williams our administrative support team, telephone number 01752 439802.
The centre is open Monday to Friday from 08:30 to 16:30. It is closed at weekends and public holidays.
Should you have question or concern regarding your diabetes you can contact the Diabetes Centre’s nurses on 01752 430113. There is a telephone answering service as our team are often with patients and unable to take your call. If you are leaving a message please clearly give your name, contact number and brief message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
We provide an outpatient clinic service to support you and your GP practice to manage your diabetes and our clinics include.
- General Practitioner referral clinic for complex type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Pre-conception clinic for women with diabetes planning to have a baby.
- Joint clinic supported by Specialist Dietitian and Nurse to provide carbohydrate awareness and counting education.
- Renal Diabetes Specialist Nurse Clinic.
- Insulin Pump clinic.
- Ante-natal Diabetes Nurse Specialist service.
In addition we provide a Type 1 diabetes carbohydrate counting education programme known as PASTIE and New Type 1 diabetes education programme.
Referrals to these services can be made through your GP surgery.
Education for Type 2 diabetes is provided by our community health colleagues and again referral is made through your GP surgery.